[FreeNX-kNX] Using storage devices with freenx / Nomachine NX Client

Jan Lühr listen at stephan.homeunix.net
Thu Nov 24 19:19:48 UTC 2005

Hello,

I know it's a difficult topic, perhaps I get to know some neat approaches
here ;)
I planning to migrate my X-TS enviroment to a nx enviroment in order to speed
up different things. At the moment, I'm looking for ways to access local
devices.
When the old X-TS system was implement, we had Linux Boxes with one floppy
drive only - a nearly perfect solution was to use floppyd. It could be
accessed graficaly and later on, it was even used by kde directly - which is
quite important, because our pupils, especially the young ones, usually don't
know anything about computers (apart from playing super mario ;).

Years went by and the system growed. We know use Windows and Linux on
client-side. Every box has a cdrom-drive, an usb port - that can be used for
external mass-storage devices - and so one.

As far as I understand, I can specify SMB-Shares in the client config. - That
can be used in sessions. However, I haven't found any detailed information
yet.
Furthermore this approach is quite insufficient, because:
- Users in general don't have the slightest idea on what a smb-share actually
is. Thus the system should work out of the box.
- the device-configration is changes during runtime. E.g.: user plugs in his
usb-stick, when he wants to save his document he has just written and
disconnect it, after hitting the save button.
- SMB-shares, if shared from a Linux-client has to be mounted - in contrast to
foppyd. Thus if some pupils access his cd / dvd, he'll be very confused if
the drive doesn't eject the disc after pressing the eject button.

Do you know any solution for theses issues? Since nearly all linux are
accessed as terminals only, it is impossible for users to access their
devices locally.

Thanks in advance,
Keep smiling
yanosz