[FreeNX-kNX] Windows 98 Compatability

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Sun Nov 6 20:57:40 UTC 2005

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

>On Sunday 06 November 2005 18:52, Steve Bergman wrote:
>

>>If you want a good laugh sometime, do this:  While keeping the idea
>>"It's not our fullt; NX is perfection itself!" firmly in mind, go read
>>their entire knowledge base.  Its a hoot.
>>

>Ok. Let's test it.

How about this excerpt:

-----
"The problem is that applications should not rely on querying the
content of the frame buffer to draw their windows. This is both a
security problem and a bad programming practice. The same X protocol
specification clearly states that the X_GetImage request is inherently
unreliable and is provided only for rudimentary support of screen-dump
functionalities."
-----

The knowledge base is full of nonsolutions that simply point to someone
else's "bad programming practices".  That does not change the fact that
the world is as it is.  Programmers and toolkit designers use what works
when they need it and sometimes go against the specs.  They always have,
and they will continue to do so.

I'm not going to get into a flame war over this, BTW.  It's not
constructive.

I have faith that the less defensive subscribers will understand what I
am saying even if they don't happen to agree.  Pettiness is relatively
uncommon in our community as it's bad for advocacy.

-Steve