[FreeNX-kNX] Windows 98 Compatability

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Sun Nov 6 18:52:53 UTC 2005

Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

>My 2 cents, NX is a great technology, but is has its problems, one
>problem being communication with prospect clients.

Well, while I'm in gripe mode... ;-/

One reason that NX has not seen a lot of deployments may go back to a
lack of attention to detail.  The NX client implementation has a general
flakiness about it.

To me, resuming sessions is a luxury item that I can live without.  My
deployments are not for my own use, but for regular end users.  If you
think it's a pain to recover your own sessions, imagine turning that
problem loose on a bunch of end users, who don't even understand the
concept of suspended sessions, who come to *you* when they just lost the
document they were typing.  I would never even consider turning that
feature on with nx at its present quality.

I've moved my users over from VNC to NX.  At first they were quite happy
due to the speed increase.  But now they are beginning to get a bit
gripey about NX's bugs.  e.g. in addition to the problems I have
described in the last couple of days, the caps lock gets out of sync on
a regular basis.  For the entire duration of the 1.4 client series, the
/, *, -, +, and ENTER keys on the keypad did not work on Gnome 2.4.  I
asked on the list over at !M and after a couple of days someone
responded that it sounded like a key mapping problem. (Duh!?)

In fact, I came to think of the !M list as "that list where you can
count on *not* getting a helpful answer".

If you want a good laugh sometime, do this:  While keeping the idea
"It's not our fullt; NX is perfection itself!" firmly in mind, go read
their entire knowledge base.  Its a hoot.  I don't think I have ever
seen so many defensive answers collected in one repository.  (And it's
not as time cosuming as it sounds, since their knowlege base only has 45
items.

This is not to detract from the excellent quality of the core
technology.  But without fit and finish, what good is it?

-Steve Bergman