[FreeNX-kNX] kontact as singe app

Hamish lists at subvs.co.uk
Tue May 3 16:19:48 UTC 2005

On Thursday 24 February 2005 19:35, Fabian Franz wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 24. Februar 2005 17:42 schrieb Hamish:
> > Hello Everyone
> > Sorry if this has been asked on this list, I have been searching a while
> > and found this:
> > http://www.archivum.info/nxusers@nomachine.com/2005-02/msg00006.html
> > which seemed perfect, but I do not have a file called node.conf
>
> Yes, because you are using FreeNX the free server implementation.
>
> > I would like to run Kontact on windows clients, as a single app (this is
> > a gentle introduction to users).
>
> Very good idea.
>
> > Has anyone had some success with this, and
> > would you mind sharing?
>
> It _should_ work with newest CVS (latest snapshot is also fine) of FreeNX,
> but I just found out that its not working yet, because kontact is started
> in background ...
>
> But starting a terminal and starting kontact in it, should work.
>
> This will need some work in CVS. I've opened up a Bug report, to fallback
> in case of unix-custom to the behaviour of commercial nxserver:
>
> Run lsof every ... secs on the socket where nxagent/nxproxy is listening
> and send him a term signal if there is no longer any connection.
>
> I don't like this, but I can't think of a better way at the present moment.
> Perhaps using the -once option could be considered (I think its still
> implemented.)
>
> GFP, if you read this:
>
> Have you thought about a way how to do that more elegant? I think nxagent
> -once seems to me the cleanest solution, but as always you most probably
> had some reason to do it the way you did.

Has more been done with this? Anyone had more success? I have been able to run
kontact directly from console (but I had to start konsole, it did not work
with unix, custom, console) and it worked, but a bit slowly, also any helper
apps were not available on the desktop, but showed in the taskbar (ie
kdewallet KOrganiser etc)

I have also run kontact --nofork directly with similar results, but a lot of
cpu is taken and the helper apps are still not available.

Thanks for the good work so far!