[FreeNX-kNX] poor performance over ADSL - what settings are best?

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Sat Mar 12 18:11:11 UTC 2005

Am Samstag, 12. März 2005 18:58 schrieb Tomasz Chmielewski:
> > Argh, I see the problem.
> >
> > You have not done RTFM ;-). (Well, I see there is not much M there, so
> > its ok ;-) )
> >
> > Please run a whole desktop and compare performance than. By using just a
> > single application, you have big latency problems - unless you activate
> > Rootless mode.
>
> yes I tried to run a single application in a rootless mode, too - woow
> that was fast, really

Puh, I was glad we could fix that issue. I really could not explain your
slowness until I read your mail again _very_ carefully ;-).

>- but then it behaved strangely (like running
> Thunderbird mail client -> Composing new message -> then closing this
> new window -> whole mail client closed instead of just "new message"
> window; and other strange things happening).

Yes, I told you that rootless mode is still experimental, but the folks at
NoMachine are working very hard on getting it to work.

> > _This_ was the reason, why I did not want to add single application mode
> > to FreeNX, because I knew that people would do that "mistake".
> >
> > I think of adding a new option to node.conf, which warns the user if he
> > runs a single application mode session and compression is set to modem
> > (so he is most probably using a high-latency link).
> >
> > Single application "floating window" mode should just be used in LAN
> > settings until rootless mode is finished.
>
> OK, I see.

> Hopefully nomachine NX and free NX will get better one day :)

Well, you can use a whole Desktop with VNC, so you can with NX - where is your
problem ;-) ?

For me NX is already good enough ...

> (do you
> know KDE's krdc VNC client and it's "scale" feature - which allows you
> to "scale" the whole desktop window down to a size you want (and still
> work with it), like if it was scaling image with GIMP).

I think this will also be possible with NX, but it needs more work.

While VNC is one big bitmap, NX is text+fonts+windows+widgets+...

cu

Fabian