[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX Use Case question

Dennis Kaarsemaker dennis at kaarsemaker.net
Wed Jun 15 17:17:38 UTC 2005

Greetings all,

I am currently setting up a project to let schools use scientific data
and software that we provide. Licensing and techincal restrictions force
us to run all programs locally and let the schools run a remote desktop
solution to connect to it.

I am now investigating on using FreeNX for this purpose and it looks
like we're going to use it. I've never seen an easier solution. The only
things I have to be sure about are:

* Does FreeNX need real user accounts to run, or can virtual users be
  used?
* Is it possible to enforce on the server side that the remote client
  can only run specific commands instead of gnome-session and the like?
* Is there a client that does not require installation, like a Java
  applet or an open source single-binary that we can modify to our
  needs? The mozilla plugin will not be what I am looking for.

I must admit that my search for information has not been too lang and
that I'm just trying to get info quickly and easily, so if these
questions have been answered before in some sort of documentation, some
pointers to this documentation are also appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
--
Dennis K.
  - Linux for human beings: http://www.ubuntulinux.org