[FreeNX-kNX] How to use FreeNX as Surfstation for Windows Users?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.nl
Thu Jun 2 20:36:46 UTC 2005

On Thursday 02 June 2005 19:36, Thorsten Witt wrote:
> we like to use a Linux Distribution with FreeNX + KDE + Firefox
> (located in a DMZ) as a Surfstation
> for our unsecure Windows 2000 Desktop User.
>
> How can we customize the KDE to start only Firefox if a Windows user
> logs in with NoMachine client?
>
> We do not want to give the users a full KDE Desktop!

Kiosk is probably what you want, it allows you to restrict a large
amount of stuff on the KDE desktop and is exactly for that kind or
purposes. Here are some links, but you can easily find more of course:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7718
http://www.kde.org/areas/sysadmin/

> Any ideas how to get this work with FreeNX?

Setting up FreeNX to use kiosk should be really straightforward and more
or less a 'standard' configuration if such thing exists.

Cheers,

sebas
--
  http://vizZzion.org   |   GPG Key ID: 9119 0EF9
Natural selection won't matter soon, not anywhere as much as concious