[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX with VNC for screen sharing

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Thu Jul 28 08:23:36 UTC 2005

Ed Leach schreef:
> In a discussion on linuxjournal.com, Kurt Pfeifle mentions FreeNX can be
> used with VNC to do screen sharing. Can I get more details on how to do
> this? My server is on Ubuntu. I have FreeNX and VNC working separately,
> but VNC is so slow!
>
> I need someone on the server side to be able to see what I'm doing
> remotely. Any help would be appreciated.

I think the trick is, that you need to run the VNC server on the client
side (where the X-server is), as a service in the OS (not in de
NX-session). The person at the server-side needs to contact the client.
The client needs to have open ports in the firewall, etc.

Another way is to use the "-listen" mode of x11vnc at the server-side.
Then the VNC-server (what's on the client side) contacts the client (on
the server side). Then you do not have the firewall-problems, but the
initiative must come from the VNC-server (what is on the client-side).

I have only used the first way, in a Linux-Linux situation without NX.
The quality was not really perfect, but I did not use the new
"-cursorpos" option/default, maybe that will help. See:
http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/#faq-cursor-positions

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.