[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX with VNC for screen sharing

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Jul 27 21:28:50 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 27 July 2005 17:50, Ed Leach wrote:
> In a discussion on linuxjournal.com, Kurt Pfeifle mentions FreeNX can be
> used with VNC to do screen sharing.

Most people asking this want to actually share their main desktop,
not just a new additional VNC session. So you need to "screenscrape"
your X session and mirror it over to a VNC session, which can be
shared.

> Can I get more details on how to do
> this?

A few more hints:

 * use "x11vnc{new}" to mirror your main X session. Or
   "vncreflector"...

 * from the NX Client, use the procedure described here:
   http://www.nomachine.com/howto/vnc-session.php
   to connect to the VNC server...

> My server is on Ubuntu. I have FreeNX and VNC working separately,
> but VNC is so slow!

It will be a bit faster when you do it like outlined above.
But it will still be VNC, mostly.

> I need someone on the server side to be able to see what I'm doing
> remotely. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Kurt