[FreeNX-kNX] NoMachine support (Was: non-free nx 1.5.0 upgrade failed)

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Jul 25 07:49:13 UTC 2005

Gian Filippo Pinzari wrote:
> I hate to advertise a NoMachine service in a OSS development list, so
> I hope the FreeNXers will accept my apologies. I want you all to know that
> NoMachine doesn't intend in anyway to force people to buy the commercial
> software or the commercial support. The NX software is open and the same
> existence of FreeNX is a visible proof. If people want to use only the
> free part of what NoMachine produces, they are welcome, if they want to
> also put a small amount of their money where the mouth is, they are
> welcome even more. We hate the fineprints and the strings attached that
> are becoming so common in the free software world. We do what we do for
> pleasure and for money. What we do for money is sold. I think that, in
> the case of NoMachine, it's very easy to find out what is free and what
> is not.

When I read this message it made me feel that I had to speak up.  First,
I want to tell you that you guys at NoMachine are doing an excellent
job.  Your software is something that the UNIX world has needed for a
very long time.

I have FreeNX running on all of my personal machines.  I also have it
installed on the Linux machines that I keep running for my friends and
family.

I feel badly that you guys are not getting any revenue from my
direction.  Unfortunately in my own case, I am continuing to be
unemployed for quite a while.  When that issue is finally solved I would
be very likely to buy at least one of your 5 user licenses.  I am always
very happy to pay for software I find useful.

However, I feel your 1 user license is too expensive for me to justify
recommending its use on my friend's and family's machines.  I imagine
this is the niche your company envisioned for free version.

I think your Unlimited server licensing is wonderfully economical.  I
can guaranty you at those prices I would have no problem selling the use
of this software to management in any of my previous jobs.  I am quite
positive that if I ever manage to find decent employment again that I
will find a good use for your Enterprise products.

Anywho, I hope something I said here is useful for you.  I mostly just
wanted to thank you, and everyone else at NoMachine, for all your hard work.

Pat