[FreeNX-kNX] NoMachine support (Was: non-free nx 1.5.0 upgrade failed)

Gian Filippo Pinzari pinzari at nomachine.com
Sun Jul 24 13:37:21 UTC 2005

Neal Becker wrote:
> AFAICT, the personal server entitles me to 30 days support, which has
> expired.  I didn't see any mailing list or forum support at their web site.

Sorry for the intrusion and for the long mail, but I think that a few
questions were raised that need a clarification. I'm just sorry that
this was generated by an innocent query :-).

Neal, NoMachine offers commercial support beyond the 30 days included
in the software price and this support also applies to the Personal
Edition:

http://www.nomachine.com/enterprise_options.php

You didn't find any mailing-list because NoMachine closed them all some
time ago. They worked so well that nobody was buying the commercial
support.

NoMachine has also a rather comprehensive KB archive that is open to
everybody, including evaluators and free developers:

http://www.nomachine.com/support.php

Now let me spend a few words about the position of NoMachine regarding
the FreeNX project: this mailing-list is not a NoMachine facility and I'm
not sure the FreeNX people are interested in providing NoMachine support
for free. Questions regarding the commercial client and server should be
sent to the NoMachine support staff, not to this list. The NoMachine
people keep monitoring this list to identify interoperability problems
and solve them as soon as they arise. The FreeNX people do the same the
other way around. This works pretty well. Interoperability problems, in
fact, are quite rare and most of the time we are dealing with simple
bugs or configuration errors.

I understand that most people are interested in using the FreeNX server
and, possibly, also a free client and that, being the free and commercial
versions working so well together, it is common to mix the two, but I
hope you will understand that, for the NoMachine model to work, we can't
respond to support questions on this list.

A final note: when reporting a problem, be sure you include the logs of
the client and the server as specified here:

http://www.nomachine.com/documentation/supp-request.php

This is for NoMachine. Please, check the specific policies applying to
FreeNX.

I hate to advertise a NoMachine service in a OSS development list, so
I hope the FreeNXers will accept my apologies. I want you all to know that
NoMachine doesn't intend in anyway to force people to buy the commercial
software or the commercial support. The NX software is open and the same
existence of FreeNX is a visible proof. If people want to use only the
free part of what NoMachine produces, they are welcome, if they want to
also put a small amount of their money where the mouth is, they are
welcome even more. We hate the fineprints and the strings attached that
are becoming so common in the free software world. We do what we do for
pleasure and for money. What we do for money is sold. I think that, in
the case of NoMachine, it's very easy to find out what is free and what
is not.

/Gian Filippo.