[FreeNX-kNX] NX vs. FreeNX

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Thu Jul 21 07:33:57 UTC 2005

Adrian Coman wrote:

>Could someone enlighten me about the differences between the 2 NX
>implementations?
>Are there 2 separate developing teams and the NX/FreeNX products are
>different, in the sense that they don't have the same code?
>Are the 2 versions 100% equivalent?

Hi Adrian, here's a rough and short description;
NoMachine developes the NX-technology and released in 2003 this
technology as GPL in form of a set of libraries. The server program they
kept as closed-source, and is what they are selling (plus more).
This meant that there was no server available to the GPL'ed libraries
until Fabian Franz (the main author together with Kurt Pfeifle) hacked
up a script he called FreeNX. This script has evolved a lot, and is
today really starting to be mature. The libraries/technology is the
same, developed by NoMachine and is used by both NXServer and FreeNX.
The FreeNX server strives to support most/all of the features that is
built by NoMachine, and to add a few of it's own.
For some more info, see http://freenx.berlios.de/info.php

>Sorry for these probably stupid questions, but I want to have a correct
>idea of what's going on :).

No problem! There's no stupid questions - only stupid answers, or so I
have heard... :-)

/Terje