[FreeNX-kNX] PAM authentication doesn't work

Jon Severinsson jon at severinsson.net
Tue Jul 12 16:32:21 UTC 2005

Martin Honermeyer skrev:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying different configurations and settings, but i've been unable
> to get people to authenticate with PAM (/etc/passwd) so far. They have to
> be added to the passdb with
>
> nxserver --adduser user
> nxserver --password user
>
> in order to be able to login.
>
> I've tried the following (in node.conf):
>
> ENABLE_PASSDB_AUTHENTICATION="0"
> ENABLE_SSH_AUTHENTICATION="1" (alternatively ENABLE_SU_AUTHENTICATION="1")
> ENABLE_USER_DB="0"
>
> I also enabled PasswordAuthentication in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and added the
> nx user to the wheel group. Same problem every time
> (from /var/log/nxserver.log, with log level set to 7):
>
> -- NX SERVER START:
> HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-04-CVS OS (GPL)
> NX> 105 hello NXCLIENT - Version 1.4.0
> NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 1.4.0
> NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
> NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
> NX> 105 login
> NX> 101 User: martin
> NX> 102 Password:
> Info: Auth method: ssh su
> NX> 404 ERROR: wrong password or login
> NX> 999 Bye
>

> I am using FreeNX from _CVS_ and the third 1.5.0 NoMachine source snapshot,
> I think.
>
> So what's the right way to get this going?
>

> Greetz,
> Martin

Hi Martin

Your nice log tells me you have configured freeNX correctly. The telling line is
"Info: Auth method: ssh su " which tells me it tried ssh, failed, and tried su.
The next line tells me that all tried logins failed. That is, freenx
successfully caled the login process (both ssh and su) and both told nx the
login was invalid. It does not have to be wrong password, but by some reason pam
 failed to log in the user. Can you do a manual ssh login with the "martin"
user, replace the variables ($...) below with their values on your system
(SSHD_PORT should be 22, and $PATH_BIN should be either /usr/bin or /usr/NX/bin):
> ssh -2 -x -l "martin" "127.0.0.1" -o "NumberOfPasswordPrompts 1" -p
"$SSHD_PORT" "$PATH_BIN/nxnode" --check"
If that doesn't work, you have a problem either in ssh or in pam.
If a manual login does work, the problem migh be in nxnode. A printout of the
manual login process would help. I would also like to see the printout if you
revert to the 1.4.0 OSS components, to make sure there is no vital difrence.

Best Regards
- - Jonno