[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX Security Model Challenge

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Tue Jul 12 14:36:06 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 12:56, Benjamin Podszun wrote:
> Paul van der Vlis wrote:
> > Fabian Franz schreef:

> >>This is correct.

> *snip*
>
> > When you use your own keypair and not the default nomachine-key I do not
> > see a security-point. Or do I miss something?
>
> I only kept the relevant parts..

No, you didnt.

Whoever hasnt read the previous mails in the thread is strongly
encouraged to do so now, and make up his own mind.

> The _problem_ with the nomachine key
> is: Everyone has access to them, they are part of the NX distribution.
> So if you use your private keypair it's _not_ the same, because to hack
> away on your NX server I'd first need to steal your keys, right?

Right here.

> If you use the one distributed for all interested people that download
> any NX package, SSH's security is disabled in regard of access control.

Wrong here.

> I can start an SSH connection to your NX server right away and play with
> the NX protocol.

Right here.

> You generously give open the front door and trust,

Wrong here.

The "front door" it may be....

> that
> I won't be able to open the door to your freezer.. ;-)

...but to compare the next door to get through, after the front garden
door was opened, to a freezer door is a gross mis-representation of the
facts. If you think SSL challeng<-->response authentication is unsecure,
please take the discussion to the OpenSSL-devel list, and stop it here.

[Every HTTPS-server on the net lets you come to its login dialog, no?
Does it mean HTTPS is inherently unsecure? Assume that the HTTPS server
was running as user "wwwrun" [sounds familiar, hmm?]. Are you calling
the HTTPS (SSL challenge<-->response) authentication unsecure? Assume
more, that I now introduce an additional stage of authentication: our
HTTPS clients need first to login as user "wwwrun" and they get
authenticated in this stage with pubkey SSH authentication; only after
that first stage is completed, they get access to the real user login
dialog and have, from now, in the 2nd stage of authentication, the same
challenge<-->response mechanism as before I introduced my change....
*I* would call this an additional security level, by all judgements.
You seem to take the questionable position to now call my setup an
inherent security flaw, if I decided to distribute the client pubkey
file and rely on SSL challenge<-->response for authentication  --
while you do not say the same about the current HTTPS login scheme... ]

> Regards,
> Ben

Cheers,
Kurt