[FreeNX-kNX] we can host a mirror for debian packages

Stefan Lippers-Hollmann s.L-H at gmx.de
Tue Jul 12 13:25:51 UTC 2005

Hi

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 11:20, Marc Chantreux wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i can't reach the kalyxo archive at mornfall.net since almost a week.
> This is sad for all debian users because the packages itself works
> pretty fine.

Kalyxo had serious dns and server issues, its successor ekhis is supposed to
be online soon. In the mean time development took/ takes place on
	deb http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/unstable/ ./
	deb-src http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/unstable/ ./
and
	deb http://www.kanotix.com/files/debian/ ./

The inclusion into debian proper is currently being prepared on alioth.d.o
	http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-nx/
but due to quite significant changes to the packaging (switching from a
monolithic release distribution to seperate packaging of the provided
upstream tarballs - as far as this is reasonable), it will take a while until
the newly packaged versions will be available from
	http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-nx/
	svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-nx/

These packaging changes also kind of prevent me from updating to the nx 1.5.0
development snapshots, as those packages would confuse and affect the efforts
on alioth (different versioning schemes/ orig.tar.gz), although I'm testing
it internally.

What does this mean for further updates:
 - the stable nx releases from NoMachine (currently 1.4.0(.2)) will be kept up
to date (I'm currently working to adapt for the recent GCC / C++ ABI change
in sid) on http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/unstable/
 - freenx itself is also tracked and kept up to date on
http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/unstable/, as there aren't any
significant or disruptive packaging changes to be expected.
 - simultaneously we are trying to get the packages ready for debian proper on
alioth, the best way to do an easy transition to the soon to be packaged
versions would be to switch when nx 1.5.0 becomes stable, as this would solve
all version scheme/ orig.tar.gz issues.
 - additionally highly experimental (from the packaging point of view) nx
1.5.0 packages _might_ be uploaded to tu-bs (of course not to unstable/), be
aware that those versions might conflict (versioning scheme, orig.tar.gz)
with the ones being worked on alioth.d.o and are only meant for development/
testing purposes. Therefore I won't advertise them or encourage its use in
any way.
 - ekhis is supposed to be online again soon as an additional nx mirror

All packages on tu-bs are compiled against current debian sid for i386,
powerpc is supposed to compile and work, but neither compiled nor tested due
to the lack of hardware. AMD64 packages (pure64) will become available as
soon as nx works reliably (at all) on that platform.

> We can host a mirror on our machines if it's needed. The Renater network
> is very reliable.
>
> regards
> mc

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann

Post scriptum: Everything said about alioth or ekhis/ kalyxo is my personal
assumption as an individual and in no way an official statement of any kind.