[FreeNX-kNX] NX->RDP printing questions.

Raul Carolus rcarolus at lightyeardt.com
Mon Jul 11 18:08:47 UTC 2005

>>Sure, I wanted to get some feedback first to see if I was on the right
>>track.  I may be with your response above.
>>
>>Let's see if I can remember it.  When connecting to a linux session from
>>windows, samba is initiated to mount up the printers/shares when the
>>session is started.  However, when selecting windows/rdp from the
>>session type, the ability to select shares is disabled.  Looking in the
>>code (nxnode, i think, it's been a while), it appears that when the RDP
>>option is selected, it automatically starts nxdesktop for you.  What I
>>was thinking was to enable the windows shares on the client, and have
>>the login/session start code mount up the printers/shares before
>>starting nxdesktop, and performing your above command to start the
>>nxdesktop connection.
>>
>>So it all happens seamlessly and transparent to the user.  Am I on the
>>right track?
>

> Yep, thats exactly my idea too.

Excellent.

>>As a side note, I haven't been able to get my KDE session to print back
>>to my windows machine.  I'm probably doing things wrong.
>

> Hm, too bad. Well it'll get easier with 0.5.0 ...

Yeah, I have some projects I need to finish first (I work on this stuff
at work, mostly).  After that, I'll hit NX again.

>>>Yes, nxrun on freenx.berlios.de is also avialable for Windows.
>>
>>That's the command line thinger right?  I have that and it works fine.
>>I should have asked if there was one with a gui.  heh.  If not, I can
>>probably add one when I get time.
>

> :-))
>
> If you have an account at berlios, you could also directly be involved into
> the project...

I don't, but I will sign up when life settles down a bit for me.  Mostly
when my projects at work die down a bit and I can experiment with it.
We use a lot of Open Source here, and my boss doesn't mind me working on it.

Thanks,

Raul