[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX and LVS (Linux virtual Server - cluster)

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Mon Jul 11 17:04:54 UTC 2005

Am Montag, 11. Juli 2005 13:10 schrieb Daniel Schwager:
> Hi Fabian,
>
> sorry for the intransparent email. So again:
>
> - Requirements
>         - 70 User should work with KDE
>         - ThinClients should be use
>         - nx-technologie should be use
>         - the clients should suspend/resume nx-session (permantent session)
>         - It should be able to play KDE-sound on the thinclient
>         - It should be able to transfer files between thinclient (laptop)
> and
>           die KDE-Session (Samba ?)
>         - the system should not have a SPOF (single point of failture)
>
> ** Parts of the concept:
>
> Please have a look to http://www.dtnet.de/48747632/nx-kde-cluster.jpg
> (picture)
>
> - 3 Applicationservers for the 70 users
>         - acting as a NFSv4-client for importing data home/data from
>           an NFSv4 Fileserver
>         - all 3 applicationservers are identical (cloned), that means they
>           will have all the same programs installed
>
> - Cluster
>         - the user does not know, on with app-srv he works
>         - we do not use openSSI nor beowulf for clustering
>         - we want to use LVS (linuxvirtualserver.org) for clustering
>                  - for the Clients, an LVS-Cluster has _one_ public IP
>                   (the LVS routes internaly to the "best" app-srv)

Why do you want to use LVS?

NXServer Loadbalancing can give you the same.

You have _one_ server, which manages the sessions and has _one_ public IP and
several nodes. (possibly in a private subnetwork on another network card)

The server loadbalances to the nodes via an algorithm of your choice.

For SoF removal, you could just mirror all Data in /tmp/ and /var/lib/nxserver
to another machine, which could be set up as soon as the first session server
fails ...

Please take a look at 0.5.0 load balancing first and see if it fits your
needs.

cu

Fabian