[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX "maintenance" scripts

Fabian Franz FabianFranz at gmx.de
Fri Jul 1 09:37:56 UTC 2005

Am Freitag, 1. Juli 2005 00:10 schrieb Jonathan Chen \(jonachen\):
> Hey all,
>
> Just curious if anyone has any "maintenance" scripts already written to
> handle FreeNX/X11 lock files left in /tmp dir and FreeNX nxserver --list
> "ghost" sessions.

Hi,

I don't think I have yet.

> This is something I've been discovering using FreeNX 0.3.1...

Ok.

>  If somehow a user tries to log onto a server and then suddenly decides
> to not connect in the middle of a login, FreeNX will sometimes have
> /tmp/.nX###, /tmp/.X1### and /tmp/.X11-unix/1### left behind.

Good catch, I knew that, but I did always "forget" it, because it is quite
tricky to avoid. But as you noticed it as a problem, sure thing lets fix it.

Also very bad is the handling of nxagent termination at the moment. (It is not
for sure that nxagent is terminated)

This _needs_ fixing.

> Leaving
> any of the lock files behind that it would cause "agent blocked"
> messages in /var/log/nxserver.log.

Ok.

> Then sometimes when a user uncleanly logs off or just a sudden
> disconnect from a FreeNX session, the FreeNX db would leave a "ghost"
> session that causes a new user not able to either log in or use that
> display #.

FreeNX should in that case suspend the session.

Just rename the session then the user can login again.

> This is what I have been discovering we put FreeNX into production.

Great. Lets start fixing it.

I'm sorry, but you'll have to upgrade to 0.4.2 once the upgrades and patches
are in ...

Its just too much work to handle two stable trees at once.

cu

Fabian