[FreeNX-kNX] why is initial authentication/connecting so slow?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Wed Feb 23 06:24:34 UTC 2005

Ben Voigt wrote:
> Seems a very long time for an ssh connection.  Is the daemon running or are
> you using xinetd?  Are you using an exceptionally long key length?

No, I don't use xinetd nor long keys, everything is pretty normal.
As I said, when I normally ssh from machine 1 to machine 2, it takes me
2-3 seconds to fully log in (and get a command prompt), and it doesn't
matter if I use keys or passwords.

If I "log in" using NX from machine 1 to machine 2, this whole
authentication part takes much much longer, more than 30-40 seconds usually.

> The "authentication completed" stage also takes the most time by far on my
> system, but it's maybe 3-4 seconds.  Each other stage is about half of a
> second or at most one second.

For me "authentication completed takes about 20 seconds.

> Do you have any background anti-virus that would scan executables and shell
> script before executing?

No, I don't have any anti-virus programs etc. stuff.

If you need any details (config files, log files, kernel, program
versions), let me know.

Tomek