[FreeNX-kNX] using the thinclient's cpu

Chris Fanning christopher.fanning at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 13:44:51 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I've setup a small network of thinclients using pxes and freenx.
The thinclients run an X server and a freenx client.
While testing, it has become evendent that the shared resources on the
host with the freenx server are very important.

This may not be so critical because not all users are using the server
all at the same time. A typical office will have people writing
documents, browsing the web, sending email intermitently.
But, that user who wants to watch that small video attached to an
email from a friend, will use lots of cpu.
Two disadvantages here.
1. His video is being sent from the freenx server to his client on the
network. Fullscreen is out of the question. In my experience, reducing
the window size of the media player achieves resonable results.
2. Other users who might be, for example, opening a word processor at
the sametime, have a degraded response from the server.

I've read http://www.nomachine.com/documentation/intr-technology.php

My question. How should I look at using the thinclient to do some of
the work? Using the thinclient to display video seems like a first
choice because it would solve both problems 1 and 2.
Do I need to install a freenx server on the thinclient?
Would the freenx client talk to the freenx server on the same
thinclient via lo interface?
I don't know.

Some opinions or pointers would be very welcome.

Chris.