[FreeNX-kNX] nxserver constantly fails during authentication on login

Jesse Byler lists.freenx at web19.eml.cc
Wed Feb 2 17:33:26 UTC 2005

Dimitrije Nikic wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, Jesse!
> Sorry to say though, it didn't work. :(
> Besides, I want only to use passwords to login - no keys.
> But even using keys it didn't work for me...
>
> If I turn off the use of keys in my sshd config, I get the same error output except the line "Using auth method: publickey".
>
> Maybe something to do with the way ssh communicates with nxserver?

There are two levels of authentication going on here.  When you enter
your username and password in the nxclient dialog and click "Login", the
first thing that happens is nxclient ignores your username and password,
and instead makes an ssh connection to the server as user nx.  This
first step always uses public key authentication with the key
/usr/NX/share/client.id_dsa.key (linux; it's in Program Files\NX
Client\share on Windows), and if it fails, you'll see

NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx
NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
NX> 204 Authentication failed.

Once the user nx is logged in, authentication of the real user takes
place using one of a variety of methods.  The nxserver can use its own
built-in user database, or it can use PAM so any normal system user can
use nx.

But before you worry about stage 2, you have to get stage 1 working first.