[FreeNX-kNX] Wishlist for FreeNX / NX

Senthil Nachimuthu senthil at rocketmail.com
Tue Feb 1 10:19:07 UTC 2005

Hi,
I have this set of requirements for a Remote desktop client for *nix
servers. NX / FreeNX comes close but not quite.

I wanted to post this wishlist, and see if there is ongoing work
addressing the ones that are not available, and if anyone wants to
tackle the features that are not worked on yet.

1. Ability to change network bandwidth in the middle of a session.
I may be sitting in the conference room and use wireless. When I go
to my cubicle, I want to plug-in to the LAN and get a better
bandwidth.

2. Portability of X sessions
I want to work on an X session while I am sitting in front of my *nix
machine, and I want to be able to connect to the same session using
NX. I also want to be able to and suspend and resume from same or
different NX installed computer / network or go back to the actual
Linux machine and continue the same session. This way, I can work
locally or remotely and I can keep my applications open all the time.

3. Network fault tolerance
If the network connection gets disconnected (e.g. Wireless router
dies, dialup connection disconnects, Windows crashes on the client
machine, etc), I want the session to persist on the server, so that I
can resume it. That is, even if I dont suspend the session, if there
is a disconnection, I want to be able to connect to the same session
and continue my work.

4. Resizeable X display
Using RANDR extensions to make the NX desktop resizeable. Because,
when I work on a PC with a high-res monitor, I would use 1600 by
1200, but my laptop can only run 1024 by 768.

Please add to this wishlist, or address any of these points as you
please.

Thanks to the NX team for developing a really great product.

Best regards,

Senthil.