[FreeNX-kNX] !M NX on Ubuntu and wishlist environment variables at startup.

Nicholas Lee emptysands at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 01:09:52 UTC 2005

On 8/30/05, Gian Filippo Pinzari <pinzari at nomachine.com> wrote:
> In my experience !M is at least as simple as FreeNX. The difference

apt-get install freenx is pretty hard to beat.

> is probably that !M is much better tested on SUSE, RH, Mandriva and
> other commercial distros, than on Debian and derivatives. For
> example Ubuntu is not even listed among the supported distros, and,
> AFAIK, nobody had ever tried it, here, so the good news is that
> you succeeded :-).

Its main issue was finding the system config:

NX> 700 WARNING: Cannot find a systemwide initialization login shell
initialization file;
NX> 700 WARNING: The following line won't be automatically executed upon login:
NX> 700 if ( -r /usr/NX/scripts/nxenv.csh ) then
NX> 700   source /usr/NX/scripts/nxenv.csh
NX> 700 endif

I just overkilled and added

if [ -f nxenv.sh ] ; then
  . /usr/NX/scripts/nxenv.sh
fi

to /etc/profile

Seems to work. :D

> >  Plus I
> > can't hack the binary nxnodes and add STARTX="ssh-agent
> > $COMMAND_START_GNOME".
>
> Yes, this is indeed unfortunate, but, as you said, this problem may
> be easily solved by having commercial and OSS versions available.
> For sure FreeNX will vigilate that users are not subjected to any
> unacceptable vendor lock-in, not only by NoMachine, but also by any
> NX implementor that may be interested in forking the project.

It would be nice if there was some way to run a script and bash some
environment variables to the Xserver before it was first started and
maybe every time it was resumed.

Actually I think this would be very useful, as you could do things
like have your SIP trunked re-routed automatically to the phone
sitting next to your terminal.

--
Nicholas Lee
http://stateless.geek.nz