[FreeNX-kNX] Can I use real X display in FreeNX?

Mario Fux foxman at lugo.ch
Tue Aug 30 15:39:56 UTC 2005

Am Montag, 29. August 2005 12.59 schrieb Nicholas Lee:

Good morning

First of all thanks a lot for your work on FreeNX and thanks to the people
of !M for their "donation" of code. I hope to promote both servers (FreeNX
and !M ones) more in the future

> On 8/29/05, Gian Filippo Pinzari <pinzari at nomachine.com> wrote:
> > Well, I'm not sure we can consider a fair deal to have FreeNX just
> > reimple- menting what we sell and leaving all the work on the GPL core to
> > NoMachine.
>
> There a few things you can learn from FreeNX though.
>
> At the moment I'm trying out the 1.5 Nomachine's server. It was a PITA
> to install in Ubuntu. FreeNX is pretty simple to install.  Plus I
> can't hack the binary nxnodes and add STARTX="ssh-agent
> $COMMAND_START_GNOME".
>
> FreeNX has a different target market than Nomachine's.  I doubt very
> much you'll see 50+ desktops running on FreeNX.
>
> Even for me working on developing a Xen based NX server for 10 users,
> I could probably support FreeNX myself but its quite likely I'll get a
> commercial server. Not just for the support, but to provide the
> support to the company developing that software.

I installed a FreeNX server at our local school (South of Switzerland, near
the Italian border) some time ago which runs very successfull. There are
something more than 160 users on the system and 15 physical clients.

But I hope and almost know that this expands in the near future to something
like 30 physical clients in the school with to possibility of the access over
the internet for the pupils and teachers at home.

And yes, Kurt, I know. I'll write a success story about it and make it more
public in the future but first I've to learn and succeed in my exams at the
end of October.

thx
Mario