[FreeNX-kNX] NX> 1004 Error: Session did not start.

Daniel Bramblett danielbramblett at inferworks.com
Wed Aug 24 17:53:28 UTC 2005

Hi,

I think I've put in due diligence trying to solve the problem I'm facing and
so far have not found anything in the FAQ's, newsgroups etc. that comes
close to what I'm seeing.  Any help is appreciated.

Installed Versions Info:

OS: FC3

FreeNX RPM: freenx-0.4.4-1.fdr.0.src.rpm

NX RPM: nx-1.5.0-0.FC3.1.src.rpm

NX Client for Windows: nxclient-1.5.0-106.exe

Logging in is not a problem but bringing up the windows is failing.  Here
are the details of the output logs from the NX Client.

Login went fine

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 552

NX> 285 Enabling check on switch command

NX> 285 Enabling skip of SSH config files

NX> 200 Connected to address: <ipaddress> on port: 22

NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx

NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey

HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-44 OS (GPL)

NX> 105 hello NXCLIENT - Version 1.5.0

NX> 134 Accepted protocol: 1.5.0

NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL

NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD

NX> 105 login

NX> 101 User: <user>

NX> 102 Password:

NX> 103 Welcome to: <machine> user: <user>

The client sits waiting on a session and after a short time displays a time
out message and logs the following

NX> 704 Session cache: unix-kde

NX> 707 SSL tunneling: 1

NX> 1004 Error: Session did not start.

NX> 504 Session startup failed.

NX> 999 Bye

Over on the server running the command 'nxserver -history' gives the
following

Display Username        Remote IP       Session ID
Date                Status

1000    <user>  <IP address>    <a session ID>        2005-08-24 10:05:09
Failed

If there is more information to be found on the server I'm not sure where to
find it.

I've also tried other desktop configurations without success i.e. GNOME,
custom etc.

Thanks,

Daniel