[FreeNX-kNX] [Re:] freenx on slax ... access disabled

Eric Hameleers alien at nl.ibm.com
Fri Aug 26 12:11:28 UTC 2005

> Am Donnerstag, 4. August 2005 16:21 schrieb mahejn at gmx.de:
>> hail to the king of 'remote access'
>
>> compiling seems to be okay, but i have one problem: i cannot access the
>> system from windows using the nomachine client. "Server not installed or NX
>> remote access disabled"
>
> Ok, thats a SSH issue then. Make sure that the nx account is unlocked and the
> authorized_keys2 file in his home directory is readable by root.
>
> activate ssh-logging and see _why_ it fails to authenticate the nx user. This
> should help you track this issue down. Refer also to the excellent pages by
> Rick Stout.
>

>> reeding the forum shows me, this is a know problem but all the advices
>> didnt not solve my problem (i noticed there is an NX user installed on my
>> system but no home directonary .. does it matter
>
> Uhm, yes. There should be a home directory in /var/lib/nxserver/home
> or /usr/NX/home/nx/ if you've used the gentoo-nomachine.diff patch.
>
>>) .. are there any hidden
>> tricks to get the server running.
>
> None that I know of.
>
> cu
>
> Fabian

Hi

I just subscribed to this mailing list, and I assume there was no
answer for Mahejn's question yet.
I have been using FreeNX on my Slackware box for some days now (0.4.4
to be precise) and had the same problem initially.
The root of the problem appeared to be the "authorized_keys2" which is
not being used by the ssh of Slackware (and therefore SLAX I assume).
Therefore, the nx account could not get authenticated.
I edited the freeNX configuration, so that a filename of
"authorized_keys" is used instead, and now I have no problem at all.
In fact, with a working sound and local drive access I am a very happy
user indeed.

Incidentally, I created two Slackware packages for the NX libraries
and the FreeNX server, I based my build script on the SPEC file I
found in Rick Stout's Fedora SRPMs. Just like Rick's RPMs, it is
enough to just install these Slackware packages. The package install
script configures your box and no further actions are needed (except
copying the client.id_dsa.key to your client PC) to get started with
your NX client right away.
If anyone is interested, I will upload the packages and build script.
I intended to write a wiki page about my experiences anyway.

Cheers, Eric

--
Eric Hameleers