[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX on Solaris 8

Michael Plotkin plotkin at rcn.com
Wed Aug 24 19:00:26 UTC 2005

The most important are:

nxserver script (/etc/init.d/nxserver) has wrong syntax for Sun sh
and cannot be executed correctly. This script is created when you
run "nxsetup --install" from the file
/usr/NX/scripts/restricted/nxaddinitd.sh.
Also this script assumes that when you reboot Sun it would be executed
with "stop" argument, but Solaris executes "stop" scripts only if you do
"shutdown", if you use "halt" or "reboot" these scripts are not executed.

nxagent (NX equivalent of X server) requires libXpm.so.4 which is not
normally
present in Sun environment. Even if you install available precompiled
version
of libXpm, it's installed into /usr/local/lib but nxagent doesn't "look"
for libraries
there. Easy to fix but annoying.

nxagent is compiled without support of TrueType fonts. Most of Sun locale's
(but "C") require TrueType fonts. Based on the comments the intension was
to compile it with support of TrueType fonts but in this case it was
done incorrectly.

nxviewer is compiled with "real" X11R6 and not Sun X environment so it
requires
a lot of libraries (or library versions) that are not present on Solaris.

If you start Sun X windows without authorization (-noauth) you may not have
.Xauthority file in your home directory. In this case nxclient crashes
with core dump.
Couldn't do much about this problem but to always run X windows with
authorization enabled.

Best regards.
                                           Michael Plotkin.