[FreeNX-kNX] windows -> freenx -> wints printing/file share notes.

Raul Carolus rcarolus at lightyeardt.com
Mon Aug 15 18:08:56 UTC 2005

Greetings all,

After playing with my setup for a while, I was able to redirect my
printers and file shares through freenx to a windows terminal server.  I
had to kinda jump through hoops to get there, but it can be made easier.

I shared my printer and folder, and added them under the services tab.
I started my connection using a kde session.  once in the session, I was
prompted to select my printer model for the foomatic ppd's.  then got
the notice that my windows share was mounted fine.

I popped open a terminal window and ran:
rdesktop -rprinter:HPLaserJ="HP LaserJet 2200 Series PS (MS)"
-rdisk:/usr/home/thav/MyShares 10.xx.xx.xx

Got the login prompt, and was able to see my printer HPLaserJ (from
freenx), and my shares.  I was able to print fine.

I had a thought and tried doing a custom unix command to do the
nxdesktop command, but all I got was a blank screen and It wouldn't
connect.  Using rdesktop, it works properly, and everything connects up
properly if I log into windows AFTER the printer dialog is dealt with.
(side note:  a windows session from the nx client works fine).

So, jumping through some hoops does work for printing from windows to
wints, through freenx, but it does work.  There are probably people out
there saying, "Yeah, it works.  I've been doing this for years!"  But
I'm excited.

Thanks,

--
Raul Carolus