[FreeNX-kNX] Attaching to a running X desktop, and FreeNX installation instructions

JCA 1.41421 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 15:18:19 UTC 2005

>   Is it possible, using either FreeNX or the NX server from NoMachine,
> to remotely attach to a currently running ordinary X desktop?
>
> please read the FAQ for this. If you then have further questions, consider
> reposting :)

   The FreeNX FAQs say that one can use things like x11vnc, but it is
not clear how (if at all) one can do that in conjunction with the NX
technology. The somewhat unwieldy NX FAQs say that that's in the
works.

>>   Another issue: Is there a document where the installation procedure
>> for FreeNX is presented in gory detail? The material in the tarballs
>> is confusing, and the compilation of the NX sources, baffling: I have
>> yet to be able to build the nx-X11 component, and it is not clear what
>> components must be built, and in what order.
>
> well as this is mainly nomachine territory, I think we don't want to mess with
> this.
>
> I figured it out myself, and got with:
> 1. nx-X11
> 2. for extra in nxviewer nxdesktop nxssh nxspool/source nxesd nxuexec; do
>
> and well after that I basically cp in that order, the INSTALL says :)
>
> But perhaps it easier for you to use distribution-packages.

   Hmm.... I think that, after all, both FreeNX and NX are not yet
mature enough. This is not a critcism, mind you - I just want to be
able to use the package, and at this point it has yet to meet my
needs. I'll look into it again in a few months. In the meantime, I'll
stick with VNC/x11vnc.