[FreeNX-kNX] freenx/nx problem on debian-amd64

Xiong Jiang linuster at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 11:31:57 UTC 2005

Added freenx/nx version...

I tried to compile freenx/nx on amd64, following the excellent guide at

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=300925#post300925

However I still got problem, one solved and one remains:

system: debian-amd64 unstable, 2.6.8-11-amd64-k8, XFree86 4.3.0.dfsg.1-1
gcc 4.0.1 and 3.3.6

nx_1.4.0.2-0alpha4_amd64
freenx_0.4.4-0a1_amd64
from
deb http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/unstable/ ./
deb-src http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/unstable/ ./

I tried gcc4.0.1:

First problem is in nxcomp/RenderExtension.h.
It turns out a forward declaration is needed for class
RenderMinorExtensionStore;

Then I manage to get authenticated from windows client, but nxagent
got segfault in nxlibs. It's in XFindOnExtensionList() of
nx-1.4.0.2/nx-X11/lib/X11/InitExt.c.

After I changed to use -O instead of -O2, the problem is solved.
With gcc 3.3.6, this is not a problem. So probably it's a bug in gcc4.0.1.

Right now I can connect from my windows client and run xterm command.
However other X apps such as xfce4-session, xfce4-panel, gnome-session
still fail for error:

The program 'xfce4-session' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadIDChoice (invalid resource ID chosen for this connection)'.
(Details: serial 186 error_code 14 request_code 55 minor_code 0)

Anybody also using amd64? What problem could this be? Since Some
people already got it running this is not likely bug in NX.

Thanks for any hints.