[FreeNX-kNX] cannot ssh as nx-user

Brad Sammut sammut at boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au
Tue Aug 9 00:28:31 UTC 2005

I've think I found a bug that might be causing your problem. This worked
for me on Fedora Core.

Try running "nxsetup --install". If it reports a problem involving "group
-d" then try this as a temporary fix.

Edit the /usr/bin/nxsetup script. Remove the -g option for USERADD_OPTIONS
in the useradd_nx() function. Then run "nxsetup --install" again and see if
it works properly.

I've highlighted the line I edited below.

useradd_nx()
{
        # In any case create the basedir of the HOME directory before,
        # because useradd will fail to make more than one directory
        mkdir -p $(dirname "$NX_HOME_DIR")

        # Is it a debian?
        if [ -f /etc/debian_version -a -z "$SETUP_UID" ]
        then
                USERADD_OPTIONS="--system --home $NX_HOME_DIR --shell
$PATH_BIN/nxserver"
                [ -n "$SETUP_GID" ] && USERADD_OPTIONS="--gid $SETUP_GID
$USERADD_OPTIONS"
                adduser $USERADD_OPTIONS nx
        # no, its a "normal" useradd
        else
                USERADD_OPTIONS="-d $NX_HOME_DIR -s $PATH_BIN/nxserver"
                [ -n $SETUP_GID ] && USERADD_OPTIONS="-g $SETUP_GID
$USERADD_OPTIONS"
                # uid specified?
                if [ -n "$SETUP_UID" ]
                then
                        USERADD_OPTIONS="-u $SETUP_UID $USERADD_OPTIONS"
                # Is it a SuSE?
                elif [ -f /etc/SuSE-release ]
                then
                        USERADD_OPTIONS="-r $USERADD_OPTIONS"
                fi

                if [ "$SETUP_LOCAL_USER" = "yes" ]
                then
                        [ -n "$SETUP_GID" ] && /usr/sbin/lgroupadd -g
$SETUP_GID nx
                        luseradd $USERADD_OPTIONS nx
                else
                        useradd $USERADD_OPTIONS nx
                fi

        fi
}

This email (including any accompanying documents) may contain information that is confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient any dissemination, copying or action taken in reliance on the contents of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by contacting the email address or the telephone or fax numbers above.