[FreeNX-kNX] freenx and ssh problems

Ken Yap ken_yap at email.com
Tue Aug 9 14:42:04 UTC 2005

Sorry, I receive digests so I've lost track of which were the people
having ssh problems, but I have the impression there were more than one.

Basically it works fine for me under SuSE 9.3. I installed the FreeNX
and knx packages. For those having problems, I advise the following:

1. Get ssh working first. You must be able to ssh localhost and ssh from
another machine to your server.

2. Run nxsetup --install and pay attention to the two things it asks you
do at the end, i.e. copy the server private key to where knx stores its
keys, and to change the permissions as instructed.

(What nxsetup --install does is create a nx account that has a forced
command on login via ssh. The script says it will start a server, but
you will not see anything running in a ps. It will only run the server
when successfully logged into.)

3. Open a terminal window, run knx and login as yourself to localhost.
You should get a KDE desktop in a window.

4. Install FreeNX and knx on another machine as in 2. Copy the client
machine's public key over to the server machine and append it to
nxserver's authorized keys file, but you must edit it to add the forced
command in front of the key, just like the existing entry looks.

5. Now go wild and install knx on various clients. Or install client
programs on various platforms but this time you need to add the public
key of the pair used by the client program to the server's authorized
keys.

I can also confirm somebody else's report that the freenx client fails
on an AMD64 host.