[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX & SuSE 9.3 (SOLVED)

LROUFAIL at nc.rr.com LROUFAIL at nc.rr.com
Mon Aug 8 21:00:51 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Verner Kjærsgaard <vk at os-academy.dk>
Date: Monday, August 8, 2005 4:03 pm
Subject: Re: [FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX & SuSE 9.3 (SOLVED)

> Mandag 08 august 2005 17:14 skrev Art Fore:
>
> Dear Art,
>
> I'm sorry to hear of all your trouble.  I must admit, I don't
> really
> understand anything of it. This is what we've done a number of times..
>
> We run SuSE9.2 and SuSE9.3 at a number of places. We used to
> intall (buy) the
> NoMachine Enterprise Server Edition. Install it on the server(s),
> without
> ever thinking of keys etc.
>
> Download the NoMachine client (1.4) for whatever OS that's in
> play. It works
> flawlessly.
>
> Recently, we decided - mostly just for fun - to look into YAST to
> see if this
> thing called "FreeNX" was there. Indeed it was, an old(?) thing
> versioned
> 0.3.1-3. We installed it on SuSE9.3, using YAST. Found it and
> installed it
> using some install-nx script using a switch saying something like
> --use-nomachine-keys-etcetera.
>
> Connected to the server using whatever client was available (1.4
> and 1.5),
> works like a breeze.
>
> We never messed with key files - so we're only using whatever SSH
> security is
> there built in. It fine for us. Dear Sir, please give it a try.
> The FreeNX
> technology is so attractive it's unbelievable, our users just love it!
>
> Good luck!
>
> Best regards,
> Verner Kjaersgaard

For those who have problems there is an alternative - pay Nomachine for
a license.  They are reasonably priced and provide the support than
some organizations need.

We need the open source efforts like freenx/nxc, but there is also a
need for a strong and viable Nomachine.  We need people who can't make
our alternative work to pursue the commercial path and we should
encourage them to do so.

- L