[FreeNX-kNX] Still can't ssh with keys, wtf

Terje Andersen terander at guard.zapto.org
Mon Aug 8 07:04:12 UTC 2005

Art Fore wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 23:26 -0500, Clay McCoy wrote:
>

>>I've written about the details in several other posts, but I'm not
>>getting much help so I am putting it all together here.
>>
>>I understand how it is supposed to work.  I have followed all the
>>directions on:
>>http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/
>>and
>>http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/ssh/
>>and
>>http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=FreeNX_FAQ/Server
>>
>>I am using fedora core 4 and the mac os X nomachine client.  I am using
>>the standard keys, and I have the client one copied over to the client.
>>I have checked all the permissions.  I have posted a debugged log of
>>/var/log/secure.
>>
>>"ssh -i /usr/NX/share/keys/client.id_dsa.key  nx@[nxserver]" prompts for
>>a passphrase, then when I can't supply one a password.  It is so simple,
>>I cannot see anything that I am doing wrong.  It is very frustrating!!

>All I can say is that I sympathize with you. I am having the same type
>problems with Suse 9.3. It must depend on the time, tempurature, and
>phase of the moon on whether FreeNX works or not.
>
>Art

I sympathize too, but I feel that I have to comment on the statements
here saying that FreeNX is somewhat unstable/hard to install.
I've used FreeNX almost since it was available, and as a Linux rookie I
haven't got any big issues that I haven't been able to solve, either
myself, or with the help of this list (and NoMachines previous list).
FreeNX isn't hard to install and configure, maybe there is something
with the distro/install of distro that's causing the trouble? :-)
Atleast on my Debian boxes it works flawlessly!

I'm sorry that I can't contribute on solving your problems, but as I
said above, I just wanted to defend FreeNX from statements that may
scare new users away....
Maybe you could reinstall your distro, or try Debian ? :-)

/Terje