[FreeNX-kNX] NX Client For Window 1.4/1.5 keyboard/mouse bug or FreeNX's?

Jonathan Chen (jonachen) jonachen at cisco.com
Thu Aug 4 17:21:12 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I just need confirmation if my problem can be replicated or not.

Problems detected

1)  Keyboard with hold on 1 key for x amount of time you see a lag.
2)  Mouse does not move as fast as a user reaction

Programs & OS used

NX Client For Windows 1.5 (might be in 1.4 too) on Windows XP
NX Client For Linux with XFT 1.5
FreeNX 0.4.4 RC1
FreeNX 0.3.1
KDE 3.1.3
RHEL 3

The Test:

While I am checking the new FreeNX 0.4.4 RC1 out to see how stable it is
and if it offers better client experience on the system or not.   So I
performed all actions a client would do on a remote system.   Most of
the test on the new build seems good.  FreeNX is more stable then
previous version.

Keyboard - 1.5.0 Client for Windows

Then when it came to typing codes and backspacing it looked fine too
until if you tried to hold a key for 30 seconds and you will see the
repeated key sputtering.  It does stop 1 second or less after you let
that key go.  Now its time to erase with the backspace key and erasing
what you typed takes much longer than the 30 seconds.  If it took 30
seconds with a key being pushed down, it took a little over 60 seconds
to erase them.   I tried the 1.4.0 client before 1.5.0 and the effect
was the same.

Trying on FreeNX 0.3.1, the effect was similar but slightly better.

Mouse - 1.5.0 Client for Windows

After logging into KDE 3.1.3, I click on the KDE/Redhat icon (like
windows start button), moved the mouse up and down quickly to see how
well it responds to my action.   Moving up and down with the mouse, you
would see a program being highlighted.   By looking at position of the
mouse and the highlighted parts to the KDE "drop-UP" menu, you can tell
there is a lag.  This lag has been complained by few of our clients that
they have to wait a bit(2-3sec) to see their actions on the remote
desktop.

Flipping over to my FC 3 Linux with KDE 3.3?? Side...

I installed NX client for 1.5.0 with XFT rpm, I performed the same
tasks...

Keyboard -  Holding a key and then backspacing to erase what I typed I
noticed the the Linux client version responds MUCH faster.   I do see a
lag still, but it is only slightly(1-3seconds versuses 2-3x lag when
backspacing to delete).

Mouse - Moving the mouse up and down, I still see a lag, but the
reaction is slight versus 2-3 seconds lag.

End comments:

I know I probably have forgotten some other info to put into this email.
Still I hope others can replicate and report the problem to !M or FreeNX
if the problem I'm seeing can be replicated.  If I misconfigured, PLEASE
TELL ME HOW TO FIX my FreeNX or client for windows.

Thanks!