[FreeNX-kNX] FreeNX on FreeBSD 5.4

Stefan Lippers-Hollmann s.L-H at gmx.de
Tue Aug 2 18:04:18 UTC 2005

Hi

On Tuesday 02 August 2005 15:39, Raul Carolus wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In my quest to get freenx working well with printing, I managed to
> royally bork my system (screwed up some X libraries bad).  Good thing
> it's a test server.  So I reinstalled Ubuntu 5.04 on it.  I hopped on
> synaptic, installed the kanotix repos and saw freenx 0.4.2 on there.
> Unfortunately Ubuntu is behind the times with libc6 and FreeNX can't be
> installed (via apt).

Kanotix is based upon debian sid and the nx libraries predate the X.org and
gcc-4.0 inclusion in sid.
This means that the packages will compile on sarge without any troubles and
should even be installable via apt as binary. The binaries are also working
and installable via apt on current debian sid, although recompiling will fail
due to the ongoing g++-4.0 ABI transition and incompatibilites with gcc-4.0;
patches for this are already available.

New packages will be uploaded as soon as the g++-4.0 ABI transition allows
doing so and as soon as there is a usable way not to interfere with the
ongoing development/ packaging efforts for debian proper on alioth.

> It made me sad.  So i'm converting that machine to FreeBSD 5.4, and I'm
> wondering if anyone has had success with FreeNX on FreeBSD.  Does anyone
> have any success (horror?) stories to share?

Ports for FreeBSD are available.

> I'm also downloading the current Debian distro, which hopefully will
> work better.  But I like freebsd better.
>
> Thanks!

Regards
	Stefan Lippers-Hollmann