[FreeNX-kNX] nxtunnel-0.2 not working (but finding xauth now)

Neal H. Walfield neal at cs.uml.edu
Sun Sep 19 20:04:04 UTC 2004

> I had "fixed"  that by doing:
>
> set +e
> . /etc/profile,
> set -
>
> but it seems quite unnecessary. Could it be that our shell script is not
> running in a "login"-environment?

Forcing a login shell is a possibility but this may have unintended
consequences: a login shell is designed to create a login environment.
This may include running interactive (or potentially interactive)
programs at start up.  (On one system where I have an account we used
to have an interactive news board which was run automatically at start
up and contained system and department announcements.  You could read
each message in turn, save them, etc.  You had to hit q to quit or
reach the end of the spool.)  It may also be that the user execs a
program on start up.  (This is the case on another system on which I
have access.  There, I cannot change the default shell from csh to my
manually compiled bash.  What I do is exec bash in my .cshrc.  It is
possible that a user could do this in the opposite direction as well
and somehow mess things up.)

Manually reading /etc/profile is not much better as it results in the
same trouble.  And if we go that far, why stop there?  Why not include
$HOME/.bash_profile, $HOME/.bash_login or $HOME/.profile?  And should
we make sure that we run .bash_logout if it exists (this may clean up
resources allocated in .bash_profile, etc.)?

As far as I can tell, I think that what we are dealing with is just a
broken environment.  We should make reasonable accommodations for
corner case environments but unless someone can demonstrate that not
having /usr/X11R6/bin in the path for non-login shells is not broken
(i.e. somehow useful), I am not ready to make this accommodation.

Thanks,
Neal