[FreeNX-kNX] nxtunnel-0.2 not working (but finding xauth now)

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Sat Sep 18 20:26:57 UTC 2004

On Saturday 18 September 2004 10:11, Neal H. Walfield wrote:

> > Here is a remote session transcript. The local nxtunnel client was in
> > fact the Knoppix "aKademy Edtion" as you can find at
>
> What do you mean by nxtunnel client?  Do you mean the nxproxy?

No, I mean the computer I am sitting in front of and do the
typing of commands, and its Operating System. It was a Knoppix  ;-)

> >    http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/aKademy-edition/
>
> This URL does not seem to work for m

Sorry. It was "slightly wrong". It should have been:

  http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/aKademyl-ive/

> > However, the nxtunnel-0.2 script gives this output:

> > knoppix at ttyp1[downloads]$ sh nxtunnel-0.2 -vv kurt at remotenx xterm
> [snip]
> > remote debug1: Running NX display on localhost:17
> > remote debug2: Creating directories for log files.
> > remote debug1: Checking for xauth.
> > Connection to remotenx closed.
>
> It seems that nxtunnel is not finding xauth on remotenx.
>
> (You have
> also uncovered a small bug here as well in the nxtunnel script:
> nxtunnel runs with set -e and checking for a program is not protected
> by a || true.  I have fix this in my local copy.)  Try running:
>
>   ssh remotenx which xauth

OK, that's it. It gives

   no xauth in (/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin)

For the time being, I created a quick'n' dirty symlink /usr/bin/xauth -->
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth.

> Note that this might produce different results from running ssh
> remotenx and then which xauth as in this case you have an interactive
> shell which potentially reads different start up files.

You were right, that is the case here.

> > kurt at remotenx:~/downloads> sh nxtunnel-0.2 -vv kurt at localhost xterm
> > local debug1: Running NX display on localhost:16
> > local debug2: Creating directories for log files.
> > local debug1: Checking for xauth.
> > local debug1: Found /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth.
> > local debug1: Determining xauth cookie for unix:1024.
> > local debug2: xauth token for unix:1024 is 468d867c4ab88bd937e5c124e3dc0f9e
> > local debug1: Adding cookie "468d867c4ab88bd937e5c124e3dc0f9e" for p15159004/unix:16
> > local debug1: Adding cookie "468d867c4ab88bd937e5c124e3dc0f9e" for p15159004:16
> > local debug1: Checking for nc.
> > local debug1: Found /usr/bin/nc.
> > local debug1: Checking if sed supports --unbuffered
> > local debug1: sed seems to support --unbuffered
> > local debug1: Checking if grep supports --line-buffered
> > local debug1: grep seems to support --line-buffered
> > local debug1: Checking for faucet.
> > local debug1: Found /usr/bin/faucet.
> > local debug1: Checking for nxproxy.
> > local debug1: Found /usr/bin/nxproxy.
> > local debug1: Starting faucet to listen on port 6016 for an X connection.
> > local debug1: Starting nxproxy on localhost:16.
> > nxproxy: Error: NX transport initialization failed.
>
> This is a different error from above.  I am not sure what could cause
> this as nxproxy should be waiting for a connection from the remote
> side (and you have not entered your password yet).  I hope nxproxy's
> semantics have not changed.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure either. I will test it later with
Knoppix (should have the kalyxo packages installed).

> (I am using the debian package from
> kalyxo.org with the version number 1.3.99.1-0pre1.)
>
> Thanks for the feedback,
> Neal

Thanks for nxtunnel  ;-)

Cheers,