[FreeNX-kNX] kNX-client - just a wrapper?!

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Wed Sep 15 12:09:38 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 01:29, Martin Honermeyer wrote:

> I just looked at the knx source and tried to find out how it works. Am I
> right kNX ist using the NXclient commercial binary for the final
> connection?

No, you are wrong.

> So it is rather a wrapper around the existing implementation?

No it is a standalone-application in its own right. It strives to
acquire the same (or even more) functionality as the commercial
NoMachine NX Client, and stay compatible to both the FreeNX and
the NoMachine NX Servers.

However, it relies on the NoMachine GPL/NX libraries and binaries,
against which it links (but not "nxclient"). It can read and use
the "nxclient.conf" or "nx session name.conf" config files. It
wraps nxproxy.

> I am curious because I'd finally like to have an NX client on my AMD64
> machine, which, needless to say, doesn't work with the (32bit) binary
> client implementation!

You can compile kNX from the sources, which are in the KDE CVS
repository (module kdenonbeta, subdir knx). For instructions
about how to compile KDE, see

  http://quality.kde.org/develop/cvsguide/buildstep.php

> Greetz,
> Martin