[FreeNX-kNX] VNC connecting question

Rick Stout zipsonic at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 16:11:24 UTC 2004

Laura Thurber wrote:
>> It isn't necessary, unless you have selected that option in nxserver, or
>> PAM isnt working properly.
>
> -It actually was necessary; I kept getting Authentication Failure until I added username to nxserver ^_^

Ok, Let me rephrase. It SHOULDN'T be necessary, unless there is a
problem with PAM authentication or its disabled. If you look at the top
of /usr/NX/bin/nxserver, there are few lines regarding PAM, internal
password db usage, and other options. By default, it is enabled. If the
option

ENABLE_USER_DB="1"

is set, then only added users are allow. By default, it is set to "0"
meaning that anyone with an account that can be authenticated by PAM can
logon.
>> I believe you are missing something in your installation.  What flavor
>> are you running? How did you do the nx backend installation? Are you
>> using the Kalyxo debs, or some other package? Which guide did you follow?
>
> -This one: http://ltsp.criticalcontrol.com/freenx.html
> The system in question is running Slackware 9, with the source tarballs from nomachine.com/sources.php.  Pretty much everything it said to do in the walkthrough, so to speak, I did.

Did you make sure that you applied the gentoo-nomachine.diff patch?
Gentoo's installation relied on the nxclient from nomachine, so the
typical installation path's were changed to accommodate this. So if you
are sure that you did the backend installation correctly, do this:
(NOTE: You might want to download the latest sources from Nomachine.
They can be found at:
http://web01.nomachine.com/download/snapshot/nxsources/ )

su -
userdel nx
rm -rf /usr/NX/etc
rm -rf /usr/NX/home
wget wget http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/nx/freenx-0.2.5.tar.gz
tar -xzvf freenx-0.2.5.tar.gz
cd freenx-0.2.5
cp -f nx* /usr/NX/bin
chmod 755 /usr/NX/bin/nx*
cd /usr/NX/bin
./nxsetup --no-machine-key

BE AWARE IF YOU DO THIS SETUP. Read the security section of this guide
for potential security risks:

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/freenx.txt

If you still get the authentication failure, PAM (or the script, not
sure which at this point) is not doing it's job.

>> Looking at your output, it looks like your RSA key wasnt added to your
>> nx users known host file. Did you run nxsetup, or create the user manually?
>
> -I ran nxsetup --no-machine-key about a dozen times over the course of trying to figure out that Authentication Failure problem.  Yesterday I ran `nxserver --adduser laura` ("laura" being my username both on VNC and on the host computer itself)

You shouldn't get this error now, if you do the above setup.