[FreeNX-kNX] Re: got: "cannot create directory `/home/.nx'"

Gian Filippo Pinzari pinzari at nomachine.com
Tue Oct 19 18:59:06 UTC 2004

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Why was it done that way?

Because the control of the credentials of the users, the lifetime
of the session, the resources that are allocated, the nodes that
are involved, the services the session provides and a lot of other
management facilities, must be done under the privileges of the
user nx, not under the privileges of the user that logs in to the
server. NX works under the control of SSHD the way any Web appli-
cation works under the control of HTTPS. I think somebody confuses
TLS with authentication here. The authentication is done at the
application level. If you think that developing a new network ser-
ver form scratch would have been more secure, think at how many
functionalities we had the possibility to yield to SSHD, instead
of implementing them by our own.

/Gian Filippo.