Python based extensions and Qt6

Juraj Oravec jurajoravec at mailo.com
Thu May 16 20:04:53 BST 2024

Hello Schimon,

> Python extensions do not work since the Qt6 interface of Falkon.

Python support works properly for Falkon 24.02 based on Qt6.
There are python based extensions in Falkon source code working fine.

What is broken is that python module names and some Qt related stuff
changed in the transition to Qt6, which means that third party
extensions mostly from store.falkon.org need to be adjusted to the
changes.

> I want to write a couple of new extensions for Falkon:
>
> Bookmarks management with buku.
> Profile synchronization via XMPP with slixmpp.
>
> Please advise,

Since both of these extensions wants to call external commands I would
recommend using Python or C++ for the plugin integration. I do not think
this can be done from within Falkon QML API support.

I do not think there is any "API" like thing to tap into to do this. YOu
most probably would need to dive into the source code for the related
information, signals, slots, database stuff.

Regarding Profile synchronization, I would start by specifying what
should be synced, like history, open tabs, pinned tabs, open windows,
history, falkon configuration, website settings, installed/enabled
extensions.

For most of these you would need to tap directly into the code, read the
configuration file or the database.

I believe, the bst is to tackle this one by one.

Also I intend to mess it up a bit for 24.08 release with some per site
configuration.

> Schimon

Best regards,
Juraj