Policy for new configuration options

David Rosca nowrep at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 11:08:56 GMT 2019

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 9:06 PM Jukka Ruohonen <jruohonen at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 07:21:38PM +0100, David Rosca wrote:
> > >         allowJavaScriptAccessClipboard
> > >         allowJavaScriptPaste
> > available from Preferences -> Privacy -> JavaScript
> > >         LocalContentCanAccessRemoteUrls
> > always on (we need it for our internal pages)
> > >         screenCaptureEnabled
> > always off - may be a good idea to allow it when implementing
> > QWebEnginePage::DesktopAudioVideoCapture feature request
> > >         DisableVideoAutoPlay
> > available from Preferences -> Browsing
> > >         webGLEnabled
> > always on - don't really see reason to turn it off
> > >         DNSPrefetch
> > available from Preferences -> Browsing
> > >         AutoLoadIconsForPage
> > always on - we need it
>
> Many of these are related to privacy implicitly or explicitly, but as said,
> I can patch these locally. Don't get me wrong: I like the cleanness of the
> code base, and I probably need to go deeper into QtWebEngine for some
> things.

Which of these you want to make configurable? As I already wrote, most
already are configurable and those that are not are either off or
needs to be on for correct function of browser.

> But more generally: what is the next milestone with the browser, say?

There is nothing as such, generally the target is to stay up to date
with QtWebEngine functions.

> I went through the whole bug tracker, and didn't see any pressing issues
> worth paying attention to.  Well, except bug #396024, which is generally a
> big issue, but I suppose still easy enough to address if there are no
> blocking plans?

Bigger tasks are Plasma integration and Firefox Sync (or sync in
general). Adding support for some "extension store" would be great too
(integration with https://store.kde.org/).

Since you mentioned privacy, it would be great to have more fine
grained content blocking similar to uMatrix.

> - Jukka

David