Compiling under openSUSE Tumbleweed

Theo alpha0x89 at yahoo.de
Sat Jun 15 18:30:43 BST 2019

On Sat, June 15, 2019, 06:33 UTC David Rosca <nowrep at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 8:29 AM Theo <alpha0x89 at yahoo.de> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, June 13, 2019, 05:28 UTC David Rosca <nowrep at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, falkon:config lists /opt/falkon/share/falkon/plugins as one of the
>> extensions paths. But no, my Falkon doesn't actually try to load the
>> extensions from there: (without the link from
>> /usr/local/lib64/plugins/falkon)
>
> It will only try to lookup available plugins when needed, not on
> startup. If you open preferences it will.

It loads all my enabled extensions on startup. With the link from
/usr/local/lib64/plugins/falkon or with
FALKON_PLUGIN_PATH=/opt/falkon/lib64/plugins/falkon, the extensions are
loaded on startup, indicated by the terminal message "Falkon: 7
extensions loaded" (and by strace messages). Without the link or the
environment variable, I only get "Falkon: 1 extensions loaded" and
Preferences only shows AdBlock available.

>>> Most likely the issue is that the falkon binary loads the system
>>> libFalkonPrivate instead of the one in /opt/falkon (due to /opt/falkon
>>> not being in ld.so paths).
>>
>> $ lsof | grep libFalkonPrivate
>>
>> only lists
>>
>> /opt/falkon/lib64/libFalkonPrivate.so.3.1.99

>>> Why do you install to /opt/falkon anyway?
>>
>> For a simple and stupid reason, README.md doesn't provide information on
>> how to uninstall. So in case there is no 'make uninstall' (I still don't
>> know), I want to be able to easily uninstall by removing /opt/falkon. If
>> the maintainers of README.md want to help users like me, they might want
>> to include a hint about uninstalling.
>
> Yes, it does. Although the best way, if you want to install it
> system-wide, is to build it into package.

For an uninitiated user like me without guidance that seems to be much
more trouble than simply installing into /opt/falkon and removing the
directory to uninstall (or using the default install location and 'make
uninstall').