Enterprise Digest, Vol 16, Issue 3

Thomas Weissel valueerror at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 12:44:08 UTC 2018

>Hi Thomas,
>
>these are some very interesting projects you have going on there.

thank you!

>I like the Ui, that you have created for your apps. Looks very clean. How
>did PyQt work out for you in this regard? Was coding with C++/QML not an
>option for you (I think PyQt supports QML as well)?

well unfortunately i can not code in C++ and i think PyQt is a winning
combination..
its really fun to code in python and qt .. everything is so convenient and
works just like i would expect it to..
i thougt about qml but for the moment it was way easier for me to use
qtdesigner with qtwidgets..
(everything i did  i just learned - usually i do javascript spagetthi code
like this
http://games.xapient.net/cowsonice/ )
QML is definitely on my radar..

>As I understand it life-exam is basically a school-centric distro based on
>Neon. But it seems you're not basing it on the LTS release. Was this in the
>past sometimes a problem for you in terms of stability? And what is your
>future plan regarding upstream Neon? Do you want to follow the release
>closely?

LIFE is a schoolcentric distro based on neon.. well.. i use a weird mixture
of kubuntu repos and the neon-dev repo atm..  i guess i run into problems
more often than necessary with this ;-)

 life-exam is just an application that makes use of the kde kiosk framework
and the plasmashell
i just switched to the dev branch because some applications like kdenlive
just werent stable enough.. i think i still can not use "kamoso" ? black
image on preview but saved pics still have the image..  had not time to
report the bug..
i am definitely going to switch to 18.04 and stick to the LTS as long as
possible..

>I'm asking because of the base switch to 18.04. Do you expect
>problems coming from this? Or asked in another way: can you think of
>anything specific what the Neon team should do to not cause any problems to
>your setup? ;)

no.. i can not think of something right now..  i will test and adapt my
software and make it more independend from changes that way...

>Last but not least from a strategic viewpoint: What's your plan on
>promoting these projects further? They are written in a way such that any
>school (at the moment only in German speaking area) could use them, right?
>Would this also apply to a university for example? Can KDE do something to
>attract more attention to your projects?

as you can imagine there is still a lot on my todo list..   i want to
provide the code base for translations in my application..
i still need to work a lot on the exam-desktop  - the kiosk framework is
very good already but some things still don't work as configured (for
example the runcommandinterface is blocked but when i switch to another tty
and back its suddenly possible to access it again.  and there is no good
way to reload plasmashell with a different configuration that rereads
/etc/kde5rc other than just kill it and restart it..   unfortunately this
does not work all the time flawlessly..  in rare cases the bottom panel
just does not show..   and since 2 weeks or such application shortcuts (as
widgets on the desktop or in the panel or in the application menu/laucher
do not work anymore after killing and restarting plasma.. this happens very
often lately.. another restart fixes that..

>In general I think it should be possible to generate quite some demand for
>your solutions. Most people in schools (pupils as well as teachers) are
>just pretty clueless about computing and need to be informed about the
>different possibilities. For example the class of my nephew became a
>fucking "iPad class", what in my opinion does not breed future engineers
>but fashion victims.

i totally agree..  there is a general demand for an easy going linux
distribution (i configured plasma in a way even the oldest non-tech
teachers on my school can use it everyday..  it looks like windows10 and
works like windowsXp..  no fancy stuff - no sensible borders that trigger
an effect and confuses the shit out of my colleges..
AND  in austria, germany and swizerland there is a very fast growing demand
for a solution like "life-exam"

we need:
minimal effort from the systemadministrators
minimal requirements for the schools infrastructure
minimal training for teachers
bring your own device for students
minimal changes on student devices
minimal license fees and other costs
maximum security (avoid cheating and data loss)

 with life-exam in combination with the "life-usbcreator" students can make
their own copies and boot their own devices..
without the need of a centralized server.. (everyone in the network can
start a teacher session) we can build local networks..
the teacher goes into the classroom and powers up an accesspoint ..
something like a tp link mini AP which is preconfigured and has the
password written on it..
everybody connects to the network.. the teacher starts the teacher session
the students start the student session..  with a click on "start exam" all
student computers lock themselves up ...
we can now distribute the test-files and auto collect the students work..

thats it..

>I took the liberty to forward your mail to some contacts, who work in the
>educational sector.

thank you very much...