Introduction to life-exam and life-builder

Roman Gilg subdiff at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 13:46:53 UTC 2018

Hi Thomas,

these are some very interesting projects you have going on there.

I like the Ui, that you have created for your apps. Looks very clean. How
did PyQt work out for you in this regard? Was coding with C++/QML not an
option for you (I think PyQt supports QML as well)?

As I understand it life-exam is basically a school-centric distro based on
Neon. But it seems you're not basing it on the LTS release. Was this in the
past sometimes a problem for you in terms of stability? And what is your
future plan regarding upstream Neon? Do you want to follow the release
closely? I'm asking because of the base switch to 18.04. Do you expect
problems coming from this? Or asked in another way: can you think of
anything specific what the Neon team should do to not cause any problems to
your setup? ;)

Last but not least from a strategic viewpoint: What's your plan on
promoting these projects further? They are written in a way such that any
school (at the moment only in German speaking area) could use them, right?
Would this also apply to a university for example? Can KDE do something to
attract more attention to your projects?

In general I think it should be possible to generate quite some demand for
your solutions. Most people in schools (pupils as well as teachers) are
just pretty clueless about computing and need to be informed about the
different possibilities. For example the class of my nephew became a
fucking "iPad class", what in my opinion does not breed future engineers
but fashion victims.

I took the liberty to forward your mail to some contacts, who work in the
educational sector.

Cheers
Roman