status of kde/plasma kiosk framework in kf5

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Thu Sep 28 12:02:53 UTC 2017

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for keeping us updated!

I just setup /etc/xdg/kdeglobals to contain

[KDE Action Restrictions]
run_command=false

KRunner would not show up. In fact, it will just exit if started by
anyone (e.g. typing on an empty desktop). Perhaps the kde5rc thing is
broken somehow.

> PS:  Still showing context menus (or parts of it)  are:

You also need to lock widgets for this restriction to take effect.
However, the entries you see aren't actually plasmoid configs but KCMs
(System Settings modules). You need to individually restrict them using:

[KDE Control Module Restrictions]
device_automounter_kcm.desktop=false
formats.desktop=false
clock.desktop=false

> with meta+Q it is now possible to see the "activities configuration" again..

[KDE Action Restrictions]
action/manage activities=false

This works for me but I also just tried /etc/xdg/kdeglobals. Perhaps
you should file a bug report about the kde5rc thing against KDE
Frameworks. I don't recall anything changing in this area on the
Plasma side.

Cheers,
Kai Uwe