Plasma 5 - configuring applications

Ludwig Cornelius t_d_l_c at gmx.de
Tue Sep 26 14:33:41 UTC 2017

Hi,

my name is Ludwig Cornelius, I work for the city of munich. I'd have
some questions about the configuration of applications in KDE Plasma 5:

1.)
In KDE4 we use /etc/kde4rc to set a path to a kiosk profile like in
kubuntu:

[Directories-default]
prefixes=/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/

The profile folder contained folders like share/apps, share/config,
share/icons.

I tested this with /etc/kde5rc and /etc/kde4rc with the same content and
this doesn't work anymore.  As far as I can see in Kubuntu 17.10
(kubuntu-settings-desktop) the environment variable XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is
extended instead. Is this the new way of setting a kiosk profile?

2.)
When I extend XDG_CONFIG_DIRS like in kubuntu-settings-desktop in
Kubuntu 17.10, I can put in this folder the *rc-Files previously found
in share/config. But what about the contents of share/apps? Wherever I
put them beneath the XDG_CONFIG_DIRS they don't seem work. I tested this
with a dolphinui.rc file to change the menu of dolphin:

<kiosk profile folder as defined in XDG_CONFIG_DIRS>
├── dolphinrc
└── kxmlgui5
     └── dolphin
         └── dolphinui.rc