[SDDM] Invoking sddm splash inmediatly

Angel Docampo adocampo at dltec.net
Thu Oct 26 10:24:13 UTC 2017

Hi list,

I hope this list is the right place to ask for sddm issues as is the de facto DM for Plasma. Please, let me know I should post this on sddm's github.

When a Plasma computer is inside a Windows Domain, login time is quite longer than a normal desktop. Winbind login on large corporations takes some time to retrieve all the information, ids, groups membership, etc, and if there is any problem with the network, domain controllers, etc, can be even slower. (FYI, SSSD is even slower than winbind for large-scale active directory scenarios)
Since the user puts the credentials and press 'Intro' until the animated sddm splash screen appears can take between 1-2 minutes.
In this time, user cannot see any cursor, animation, information nor nothing. Then the splash screen appears and after a few seconds, the desktop itself.
I think its important to change the behaviour on the corporate environment. Credentials authentication (i.e.: know if the user/password combination is wrong or right) is done quite quick -1 to 3 seconds- and just there splash screen should start... just like lightdm does, for example.

On Main.qml I can see a function sddm.login(username, password, sessionButton.currentIndex) is the function name which is in charge of the login process, but I still didn't found where this function is and how can I launch splash screen just after credential validation.

Regars,

--

[http://www.dltec.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Logo-DLtec.png]

Angel Docampo