KDE Plasma 5.8.5 deployment - Plasmashell Containment Bug

Thomas Weissel valueerror at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 11:36:39 UTC 2017

Hello Everybody!
I have a huge problem deploying my kde plasma neon images in the classrooms
of my school and wanted to know if i am alone with it.

On every classroom notebook there is a beamer attached. The classroom
notebook displays are set to clone.

Right after every boot the desktop is empty ! ?
I have to use alt+tab or meta+tab (switch activities) to make the widgets
visible again.  (but there are no other activities or desktops)

I found out that switching the resolution to 1024x768 creates a new section
in plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc

All my widgets are configured for

[Containments][71]
activityId=95dec76c-3e71-47af-a064-cbd5a50957de
formfactor=0
immutability=1
lastScreen=1
location=0
plugin=org.kde.desktopcontainment
wallpaperplugin=org.kde.image

[Containments][71][Wallpaper][org.kde.image][General]
height=768
width=1366

i got a new section that looks like this:

[Containments][92]
activityId=95dec76c-3e71-47af-a064-cbd5a50957de
formfactor=0
immutability=1
lastScreen=2
location=0
plugin=org.kde.desktopcontainment
wallpaperplugin=org.kde.image

[Containments][92][Wallpaper][org.kde.image][General]
height=768
width=1024

i replaced all occurances of [Containments][71]  with [Containments][92]
 and my widgets are back for now..
(but i'm not going to do that on every notebook after installing the image
;-) i want to fix it before rolling it out...)

here is a video that demonstrates the behaviour...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95z7yuZQLCo

there is only one desktop an one acitvity.. so why is plasma doing that and
how can i work around it or fix it?

should i open a bug report ?

i have the same problem with a blank new configfile..
it's really weird..  if i add something (a launcher for dolphin for
example) to the desktop containment an i want to move it - it disappears to
the other desktop/aktivity as i found out !!
( but there is none - its more like a parallel universe)
 i can immediately switch between those mysterious desktop/activities by
making the acitvity switcher visible or hitting meta+tab

after a reboot i can configure widgets as expected on the current activity
(they stop going through the black hole)..  but i still have this other
invisible activity i can switch to if i want

Is there a way to deacitvate activities completely ??

thx in advance!
thomas weissel